Frequently asked questions
Confirm the operational guidelinesandfind out the necessary information to comply with the commitments recognized in the Sharm El Sheikh Declaration.
Frequently asked questions
What commitments do signatories have to fulfill?
In the case of sectoral organizations and other entities:
- To support, from its institutional framework, the sector’s commitment to action, strengthening the governance and capacity for action of the sector to meet the objectives of the decarbonization plans.
- To promote training, research and the implementation of effective measures and tools to accelerate the climate ambition of the sector.
- To mobilize partners to expand the number of industry commitments in line with the objectives of the declaration.
- To assist in the implementation of decarbonization plans for hospitality companies.
In the case of chains and large catering companies, small and micro-SMEs and supplier companies,
- Commit to submit decarbonizationplans within 12 months of signing and implement them:
- Decarbonizationplans will aim to reach net-zero emissions as soon as possible, preferably by 2040, and always before 2050.
- In all cases, an intermediate target for halving emissions by 2030 shall be included in all cases, consideringthe baseline taken as a baseline for the plan.
- If you have previously approved plans, commit to updating them in line with this statement.
- Commit to publish decarbonizationplans and report on progress towardstargets, as well as measures taken, at least once a year.
- In the case of SMEs, they must confirm their climate commitments through theSME Climate Hubinitiative.
What is the confirmation of commitments for SMEs?
The PYMES Climate Hubis made available to you, a platform that offers free of charge the best tools and resources available for the calculation, reduction and reporting of emissions, as well as incentives and training programs.
SMEs signatories to this declaration must confirm their climate commitment through this link.
In this way, their commitment will be recognized by the United Nations Race to Zero campaign, thus contributing to action with that of many governments, companies, cities, regions and universities around the world that share the same ambition.
What is meant by measurement?
To measure scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. and disclose all business-related issuances. To ensure that methodologies and tools are in line with UNFCCC guidelines on measurement, reporting and verification, and are transparent and accessible.
What is meant by decarbonization?
To determine and meet climate-aligned targets to accelerate decarbonization, ensuring sufficient resources and capacities to meet the targets set out in climate plans. While compensation may play a secondary role, it must be complementary to actual reductions.
What is meant by decarbonization plans?
It is understood the publication of a Climate Action Plan or, where appropriate, the updating of an existing plan integrating elements of climate action or aligning its objectives with those of the Sharm El Sheikh Declaration, within the first year from the signature. Each Climate Action Plan shall be adapted to the unique circumstances of the organization and its category. The Sharm El Sheikh Declaration website will provide guidance and tools for developing a Climate Action Plan.
Signatories must report on progress in implementing the Sharm El Sheikh Declaration annually. The Climate Action Plans will be collected on the website of the Declaration, for which a specific space will be enabled for it.
What is meant by communication?
To communicate and share with the community, peers and users the actions carried out, promoting cultural change and helping in turn to deepen social behaviors in the face of climate change.
What is meant by collaboration/mobilization?
To share and to work with other entities in the hospitality sector to ensure that decarbonizationplans are as effective and coordinated as possible to achieve decisive action in favorof the adaptation of companies to action against climate change.
Rely on the Academy to scale the ambition of the measures to meet the goal to 2050.